So, I said, “we aren’t doing anything else until you write down FIVE ideas.” I shut up, and I just sat there. There was a moment of uncomfortable silence, but ultimately, she banged out five ideas (which lead to more ideas) in just a matter of several minutes…
You see, all it takes is to consciously think for just a few moments… Is blogging really that simple? Are most people just not even devoting a few minutes to think?
Well, shifting topics…I am always talking about the importance of serving others, or as I usually say, “serve first, sell second.” When I mention this topic to people, I often get a similar response, “I just don’t know what I can do to help people.”
I suspect they just aren’t thinking hard enough here either…
I suspect a good portion of the time, that phrase masks their deeper concern, which is time must be spent selling their products or services, and that if they don’t invest that time, their competitor will – and win the business.
But I believe, sincerely, that operating from a service mentality will pay dividends, to you, your brand, and your business. Here are just FIVE ideas to consider daily:
1. Devote 10 minutes to coming up with FIVE ideas to help out your friends, customers, and prospects.
2. On Twitter, don’t do ANYTHING else until you Retweet the good works of at least FIVE others.
3. Grow bigger ears, and listen to the social web (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn) for people describing their problems and issues – and offer solutions.
4. Identify an online forum or two in your space, and be an active participant. Answer questions dutifully.
5. Heck, launch an e-book project where you can feature/promote/spotlight a BUNCH of your friends!
The key to success here? Consciously devoting some time – WITHOUT DISTRACTIONS – to conceiving ways to be helpful – and be of service – to others. Just set aside a few minutes a day to this effort. I think you’ll come to understand that these few minutes invested will pay off significant dividends… There are no more important ways to distinguish yourself, or be more memorable, than this idea…
What do you think? Any other ideas?
[cartoon by @gapingvoid]