Sometimes you stumble upon a book that has an immediate impact on how you conduct your life day-to-day. Peter Bregman’s 18 Minutes: Find Your Focus, Master Distraction, and Get The Right Things Done did that for me. And I wanted to get Peter on the show so that I could share the book with you.Peter does CEO advisory work out of Bregman Partners, and is an author, consultant, and speaker.
On the show, Peter and I discussed the following topics:
1. We are easily distracted, and the most important things aren’t getting done. Peter wrote the book to address this problem.
2. You CANNOT get it all done. You are a limited resource. And what happens is the wrong things get done, instead of the important things. So, the purpose of the book? Well, if you can’t get it all done, how do we make the right choices to do the IMPORTANT things?
3. We discuss WHY we feel like we have to get it all done. Perhaps we follow the wrong role models?
4. To make the necessary changes, you have to be able to break old habits and patterns…and how do you do that?
5. What does 18 Minutes actually mean? It is a process to help you get focused, and then STAY FOCUSED.
[5.5. Part of the 18 Minute strategy is getting an hourly reminder to bring your day back into focus, to ensure that you are on track and focusing on the important tasks for the day. For me, I use the Re.minder iPhone app. I love it.]
6. The “Six-Box” To Do management system (this is really cool, and something I have begun to adopt myself…). This exercise helps you see what you are NOT doing towards your own stated important goals.
7. The importance of…the pause. This helps you create self-awareness, which is essential in making the right choices for yourself.
8. The fixed mindset verses the growth mindset.
9. It is one thing to learn how to say no, but the hard part is in the enforcement of it.
10. And to take it a step further, when you give someone instructions, you MUST be sure they execute them, because if you let it slide, you lose control.
You can learn more about Peter Bregmen here, and purchase the book below (affiliate link):
Join our intrepid list of business leaders.