I’ve been thinking about curation a lot lately. Curation, as in the act of collecting disparate pieces of content from around the internets, organizing them, and then sharing with a targeted audience.
But here’s the thing: I think curating content is a great sales strategy too.
1. It reinforces your brand. I want people to live boldly. So, I share articles that push them towards living a more intrepid life.
2. Gives you a chance to be of service. Service first, sales second, I always say. Providing helpful information to your list is a great way to be of service.
3. Allows you to control the education of your market. Marketing is about educating your market, making them understand how you can help them. Why not provide even more helpful knowledge to your market?
4. Allows you to use the work of others to keep in touch with your list. I can’t create everything, and others do an outstanding job of creating content that helps my market too. Why not tap into that? This builds trust too.
5. Gives you opportunities to occasionally share your own material. Where appropriate, I sometimes sprinkle my own content into the mix. This makes it less icky to share a link to one of my books or radio shows.
My friend, and past Intrepid Radio Show guest, Colin Wright recently published a short book on how to become a curator. A quick read, it is worth checking out:
So here is how I do it:
Every Sunday morning, I send an email to my mailing list with the curated bits from the previous week. Here’s a sample.
This has quickly become one of my favorite tasks each week. I already spend lots of time researching, studying, and learning what I can over the course of the week. Now, I have a way to take what I am learning, collate and share it, thus serving my audience.
Serving my audience is a good strategy. Builds trust, demonstrates service, and strengthens my relationship with my list. I recently received this lovely email from a member of my mailing list:
“This has quickly become my most eagerly awaited and useful email each week. You’ve introduced me to some incredibly valuable people that I was completely unaware of.”
Do you think someone with this type of reaction is a more likely buyer down the road?
Yeah. Me too.
To get my Sunday email of curated awesomeness, sign-up for my Intrepid list here.
Photograph via Unsplash.