Here is my ten-step plan to get business opportunities from Twitter. And I know it works, because it happened to me yesterday.
1. Start a blog. Write helpful content.
2. Share this content on Twitter.
3. Build relationships with people on Twitter. (you know, actually talk to people. Here’s how to start conversations on Twitter.)
4. Share the work of others. (key to success: do this more than sharing your own work.) This build trust. Makes you real. Makes people believe in you. I promise!
5. Engage directly with people who are kind enough to share your work.
6. If they respond, build a relationship with them. Be nice. Acknowledge. Learn about them. Care about them.
7. If they send a tweet inviting you to coffee, take the time to meet them and get to know them. This, in the modern world, is the new networking. Sorry folks, but this is how it is done.
8. When you meet, and they talk about their business, L-I-S-T-E-N! And seek to learn more…
9. During conversation, if appropriate and sincere, offer a solution to a need.
10. When they express interest in your solution, shift to a service mentality, work with them to explore it further, and together, discover if what you provide will indeed benefit their organization.
11. (Bonus Tip!) Repeat.
So there. That’s it. Now, the hard part? Doing it.
Those who do it will see returns from a time investment on Twitter. Those who don’t (read: most of you)…won’t.
What in the hell are you waiting for? Go…